Dear Crabby, Why is Everyone Declaring a State of Emergency?

Dear Crabby, From Cities, to Counties and from States to the Federal Government, Why is Everyone Declaring a State of Emergency, isn’t the Federal Level Enough?

Sincerely, State of Over-Emergency

 

Dear State of Over-Emergency,

As more and more people panic about the pandemic, that is the Coronavirus, it does seem that every level of government has declared a state of emergency. Like most things in life, it comes down to two things – Money and Power.

When a state declares a state of emergency, then federal relief funds will come to the state, in a big way! The feds will pay 75% if the state pays the other 25% of costs to help prevent and reduce the spread of disease. I imagine that’s also part of the deal with the counties and cities who declare – money will come their way.

But the huge deal is the power. Governments can cut corners on our liberties. They can limit what we do, when we do it, and where we go. Gatherings, curfews, and quarantines could be imposed. Businesses could be closed. And unlicensed people could help with medical tasks. We’ve seen some of this already. But should you panic about the panic?

Dear Crabby sits infront of his laptop

Dear Crabby Gives Advice

I chimed in about the outbreak a month ago, you can read about it at Dear Crabby, Do I Need to be Worried about the Coronavirus?

So, during a state of emergency, the city, the county, the state, and the feds can all tell you what to do or not do, where to go or not go, who you can visit or not visit, and more. That’s why you’ve seen lines of people at local stores stocking up on toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and food. However, I’m not worried. Well, maybe a little. With all those extra supplies Mrs. Crabby bought, I’m afraid I’ll be spring cleaning all summer! And with the extra food and TP, we’ll be able to keep with it a good long time, and maybe never have to leave the house. And with no sports on TV, it may be just some big scam to make families interact again … but at safe social distances of course!

Some intriguing things have happened. As they close schools and universities, the kids are going to the malls, shopping centers, and hanging out more. College bars are packed! So, as we try to protect the young – who are not the target age group of the disease anyway – have we inadvertently moved them closer to one another?

We did this in a hurry – closing schools – only time will tell. However, senior centers who cater to high-risk age groups remain open. That’s starting to change, but slowly. Again, it’s about money. State schools have their tuition money already, so of course they can close and find alternative learning. But seniors centers and community education buildings rely on class fees, so they’re hesitant to close – they don’t want to have to return any money.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll see almost everyone get on the same page here very soon. The federal level is not enough – they’re all jumping on the band wagon – the mayors, governors, and president will get us all in line (so to speak) and keep us safe. No matter how bad it gets, or how not bad it gets, they’ll be sure to remind us about all the money (our money) they spent, and how “it could have been far worse without their emergency measures.”

Now take it easy and go wash your hands …

Sincerely, Dear Crabby.

 

Email me at DearCrabby@RochesterMedia.com and ask your question.

You may also ask your question on my Facebook Page and don’t forget to tell me how wonderful I am.

About Dear Crabby

Stuck in a rut? Need some biased advice from a crabby old baby-boomer? Read regularly by thousands and loved by some, Dear Crabby answers questions weekly to life's challenges. Send him a note at DearCrabby@rochestermedia.com.

Speak Your Mind

*